Monday, October 11, 2010

The Bender Gallery

So on my early morning walk with EG we were discussing Mondays! I think Mondays have a totally bad rep and I am going to force myself to change that attitude. I mean Mondays are very much contingent on your Sunday and can be very overwhelming when you look at the week ahead of you and everything you have to do, go, be and see. BUT I think we need to change our perspective on this day that happens every week whether we like it or not! If we didn't have Mondays will Fridays feel so good? I am going to get pumped about today, and try my best to think about all the good things that can happen on a Monday! For me I walked and talked with my best friend, we joked about the fabulous weekend we shared and blessed about the great things we have to look forward this week like THE FAIR/PUMPKIN CARVING and oh yeah we are doing a show that opens SOON!


Side note: Happy National Coming out day! I hope that those of you struggling to come to terms with you own personal reality can take this opportunity to free your mind! I love you and think you are special. May we all find the patience in our hearts to appreciate each other for our differences!
And now to the Gallery:
Photobucket

Anywho, so let me tell you about the weekend that I just had! WHOA, awesome! So as I told you Friday night EG, B. and I headed up to Black Mountain where my family has a quaint and peaceful cabin atop the mountain. After not having been there in over a year, and it being midnight+ when we arrived, we had a bit of a struggle finding the right driveway. There was a lot of backing up down extremely NARROW gravel roads. At one point I had to hop in the bed of the truck and navigate B. away from the edge of the mountain. Alas we made it safe and sound BUT our trials were not over...there was no water. One of the first things you do when you get to the cabin is check the water so you can turn on the water heater...but all the faucets just sounded like they were giving their last rights, a shaking rolling death rattle. OH well, we were still in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, and the Gamecocks were playing Alabama the next day so clearly nothing was going to change our delighted mood. We opened a bottle of red wine (B. opted for his Black Label C Royal and coke) and played some cards. The joys of working at a toy store. I brought a deck of cards that are not adorned with any kings or queens, no numbers to be found here BUT instead animals...ooooh yeah I am talking tigers in tutus elephants on skateboards, ice skating cows and the OLD MAID POSSUM, you don't want this broad with her polka dot panties. After a round of old maid, go fish and memory and some wonderful venting of life's tribulations we called it a night.

Saturday morning I woke up early and called my dad. He told me how to get to the water pump and how to turn it on! I promptly went back to bed! Around 10ish we moseyed out of bed and got ready for our first mountain adventure! We were told to hike down to the end of the road take a left at the concrete road and find the hut with all the pipes. I can not express how wonderful it is to wake up on the side of Black Mountain. The way the sun peels through the trees and the wind whips around giving you this feeling of freshness in the air that is exhilarating. Then to wake up with amazing friends and set off for a little gallivant down a mountain lane...my day was already one of my favorites and it wasn't even noon. After making it past some ravenous dogs on a clearly marked NO TRESPASSING territory (we had to the hut with the pipes was behind it) and OK the dog was just barky not bitey...we found the pipe and turned on the water.
Photobucket HUZZAH, what an adventure friends.

Returning to the cabin we called our friends that were in nearby Asheville to say how-do, and then made our tentative plans for the day. We made ourselves some Indian River mimosas (if you aren't using Indian River you aren't doing it right) and sat on the porch for a spell. The sun was warming up the day nicely and breeze was tickling the chimes like pianist would tickle the ivories! The lounge chair on that porch is close enough to the edge that the sun can streak across your right side, I truly love this because the shadows from the leaves dance and play on my leg and arm and as the wind blows the tree tops the sun sparkles and shines in the corner of me eye!
Photobucket

After readying ourselves, we head out on down the road for a bit of breakfast and by bit I mean a TON. B. and I had recently learned that EG had never been to Cracker Barrel. Really? I feel like that is some what a sin in the South.
Photobucket

After stuffing ourselves on the deliciousness of the CB we putted around the gift shop then headed to town. Asheville is absolutely one of the coolest town's in America. From the buildings to the streets, the personality is apt and everywhere.
Photobucket

I must tell you that I am a HUGE football fan and this was the day we (The Gamecocks) were playing Alabama, the number 1 ranked team in the nation in college football. YIKES. We had put up a good effort but ultimately lost to Auburn 2 weeks ago. Last week was our bye week, thankfully, gave us some extra time to prepare for the Tide! So we walked over to the Bier Garden to say hello to our friends who were having a drink before heading back to their house where they had decided to watch the game. B. EG and I walked around town for a minute...it was Oktoberfest in the city and some great sights were seen (does one ever tire of see old men in lederhosen, I think not).
Photobucket

As the witching hour approached (I LOVE 3:30 games) we head back to the Bier bar for some HUGE screen TV. This was ESPNs Game Day game so needless to say it was the one on the biggest screen. Boy did it deserve that big screen because that was one amazing game. I can't really tell you how wonderful it was to sit there in that bar surrounded by gamecock fans (seriously I ran into friends I hadn't seen since before China who were RANDOMLY in Asheville too) we straight turned that bar into Gamecock Country and rightfully so after seeing what a solid team took the field that day in William's Brice Stadium. We gave 'em hell and I screamed Eat their Face on more than one occasion! *I must tell you that prior to the game EG purchased Zombie magnet poetry and we decorated our table with creative one-liners about the zombie apocalypse, might need to be a new tradition before all gamecock games.* Anyway, we rocked that Tide like they hadn't been rocked in 19 games and took the victory 35-21.
Courtesy of GamecocksOnline.com
Photobucket

As a Gamecock fan you are not really use to successes and extremely well-played games. We almost didn't know what to do with ourselves....almost. What did we do you ask? We took to the streets, we high-fived and clapped and cheered and shared our excitement with half of Asheville. Most people were excited for the Gamecocks to win (not really bc they care about USC but the just wanted Bama to loose. Hey who am I to turn down cheer?) we journeyed around town on our post-victory euphoria then ended up back at the Bier Garden for dinner. It had served us well all day!!

After eating a most delicious tuna steak with pineapple and sweet potato fries we called it a night! We stopped by our friends abode and I must say I was delighted by the creepy, beyond creepy even, Ashville house they where they were staying. The upstairs is normal all clear that kind of deal, but then you get the tour. The small door in the back of the kitchen that seems just a little bit older than the rest of the house opens. A dank smell rises from the carpeted stairs below. You slowly move down the steep ascent and then make it into a cold damp bare room. The light is popped on and a creepy concrete room dashes into appearance. It is bare except for randomness sprawled out around...the weirdest part is the somewhat dirty drain that sits- out of place- in the middle of the floor. Andrew my leader of the creep took me into the adjacent room where to my complete amazement was the perfect setting for a new gore-cult classic. Tiny beds that were plainly made with dulled covers and stale sheets. The make-shift bathroom is drafty and unused. Altogether it was a wonderfully terrifying end to my mountain day.

B. EG and I stopped by the grocery store on the way up to the cabin, because once you get up there you don't want to come back down the 20 minute winding road unless you absolutely have to! We acquired our necessities for the morning munch and head on up the road. Saying goodnight to Asheville was done with sheer pleasure as the day could not have gone off better. We were relaxed, groovy and right on point all day. It melded our needs with our desires to the point of perfection. There were no perforated lines to tear us apart from the joy that was handed down to us fine folks on such a fine day. So three cheers to you Gamecocks, three cheers to you mountain retreat and Asheville streets, three cheers to you mind friends for being there and coming back for more. May the sun warm your way and the moon calm your nights!

xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment