Monday, November 8, 2010

Dear life,

Whoa. Seriously, whoa. What was last week all about? I mean I get it, you have to throw us some curve balls every now and again to keep us on our toes, but it was like I was standing in the batting cage of life with the ball machine stuck on high speed and the only thing I had to protect myself with was a Styrofoam bat. I mean I was able to use my feline instincts to move and tumble my way out of direct beating but it was a lot of work. I am so on my toes right now I need point shoes. It has me thinking, OK what did I do? Where did I misstep? I don’t think there is a direct point of reference but I can generalize and try and figure out what might have led to this downward spiral. Part of me really thinks that breaking that mirror a while back has seriously cursed me.

What do you think about superstitions and such? I don’t know where I stand. There are things that I will not do, like say Macbeth in a theatre. Seriously DON’T DO IT!! Here is the thing I broke a mirror when I was unpacking all my stuff at my new apartment. Since that happening things have been all topsy turvey. I am working through it though. Luckily I have a group of friends that are totally kick ass. Not only my friends but working on a show gives such a since of community. Seriously backstage each night before Reasons to be Pretty is some of the most entertaining moments of the whole show. I wish we could record it and play it for everyone, you would truly enjoy it. I think it is because, let’s be honest, theatre people are weird. And we are totally OK with that, wouldn’t have it any other way really! So having this cast and crew in my life makes laughing and smiling easy and for that I am thankful.

Let me see if I can pick out some stuff that happened this week that is worthy to talk about. Well two of my favorite people had birthdays. I think I told you about birthday taco Tuesday. Well here are a couple of pics from that night:
Photobucket
Michelle in her bday glory

Photobucket
Caitlin’s amazing confectionary talents with this smokin’ hot (seriously) cake.

It was a fun night that ended even more interestingly than it began. I am sad that I will miss tacos this week, but for good reason, dialect rehearsal!

The other exciting thing that happened this week was Nirdvana, the Nirvana tribute show. My dear dear friend Nate got together with some of his former coworkers and decided to put together a Nirvana Unplugged show. Because I am stage managing the mainstage show at Trustus I am responsible for the set and lights and such so I was asked to help out with the Nirdvana show and let me tell you I couldn’t have been more thrilled. I mean Nirvana and I go waaaaay back. One of my fondest memories is the 9 year-old Sumner and Virginia in my brother’s room BLASTING Smells Like Teen Spirit and head banging our little hearts out. We were so badass and no one could tell us differently! That album changed my life, as it did many others I’m sure.

Anywho here is a picture from the Nirdvana rehearsal.
Photobucket
Too bad I didn’t get a picture of the performance night. It was a truly magical show. The audience was right there with them the whole time. Nate spared no expense to make this show something special! He decorated the stage with candles and flowers and the band worked and practiced for months to get each detail down. And get it down they did, I think everyone in the house that night can appreciate the hard work that went into this production. I have to give a shout out to my friend Chris. We haven’t seen each other since I returned from China and getting to work on this show with him was a nice way to reconnect. He did an amazing job with his fancy finger work, that guitar was on fire Friday night!

After that we took to the town. I have to say that my favorite bar in Columbia is Art Bar on Park Street. It is eclectic and funky and you just never know who you will see or what you will get. BUT for some reason, the city of Columbia has decided to focus all of their attention on this bar. Nightly visits from the fire marshal chastising and fining them for being overcrowded. When you can go down to 5 points where in the past year shootings, robbings and overt disruption happen nightly and they take this one bar far away from 5 points to point the finger. It frustrates me because I want to scream discrimination, for this is a bar where you might order a drink next to a gay couple or a friendly tranny. You might spend an hour or two watching scantily clad women shaking their artistic bellies while a man down front plays with fire. Tattoos are the norm and skinny jeans seem like a dress code. It is where I want to go on a Friday night to dance and drink and say silly things and have the MOST fun. But it is becoming impossible. Because of this added attention they can no longer let people in as they feel. They have to restrict the entrance and it becomes a one person out one person in type deal. Meaning that there is a line that takes forever to get into, and once you are in you are never going to leave because you would be forced to wait in line. So on more than one occasion we have been turned away from my favorite bar because of the unsightly line. I give mad props to those of you who wait it out. I, however, have a short attention span when it comes to going out, so if it doesn’t happen quickly my comfy bed will start to call out my name and I will pout all the way home.

So needless to say Friday night we were unable to make it into Art Bar, so we headed down to CJ’s in 5 points. I have only been to this bar a couple of times but I had myself quite a good time. My friend Courtney works there on Friday nights so that was an added bonus. I spent a little bit of time drinking, grooving and chatting away. The whole night was filled with this bit of energy that I just don’t think I could describe. It was a mixture of nervousness and pure excitement with a shot of adrenaline! Crazy! The night ended with EG spilling an entire beer down my leg, which I was not mad about because she was so upset by it that it was actually funny. And seriously you really can’t get mad at EG for anything! She did buy me a Waffle House sandwich which totally makes up for it ;)

So that bizarre energy I was talking about, well that coupled with the unbelievable stresses from the week took their toll on my body and I slept like I have never slept before! Literally I did not get out of bed on Saturday until 5 o’clock in the afternoon. I read a bit and napped and slept and ate and slept some more. I feel like I was plugging myself into the outlet of life to recharge my batteries. Speaking of recharging batteries, one of the FML things that happened this week would have been my iphone being completely wiped out. I kid you not. It tried to update itself and by doing so completely crashed. IT was horrible! I tried everything to get it working but it was all in vain. Until trusty B. came to the rescue. He is like a ninja when it comes to all things computer, wires and all that stuff that I have really no clue about at all! Oh and let me tell you this is not the first time this week that B. has literally saved the show.

On Thursday night before the show we are all hanging out, preshow music playing away, when all of a sudden the music stops. The music doesn’t just stop….it explodes. The little box that changes music from digital to analog literally went up in smoke. Well this show is a great show but Chad’s artistic direction is so greatly accentuated by the music that it would be a crime against art for this show to have to be performed sans music! This would not be the first time B. has been compared to Batman but it is like we put up the single and he swooped in to save the day. He fixed the box and BAM! We had an awesome show. The show had an excited quality that just added to each actor’s performance!

Now it is a Monday morning, again. I am so happy to start a new week! I am going to do all that I can to appreciate the negatives that were handed down last week and mold them into positives for this week. I start rehearsals for Sealed for Freshness tonight and I couldn’t be more thrilled. This week has something special in store for me and I can’t wait to find it out!

Until next time, have a drink on me:
Photobucket
Margarita from Monterrey’s my Sunday night foray into happy hour drinking. I had two of these and slept like a queen!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment